Wednesday 31 August 2016

Too Big To Carry

You know all those people who said I was "making a rod for my own back" blah blah blah when my strategy for helping Cupcake calm down or manage wobbles was always to cuddle her or pick her up? Well, they can still bog right off, but it has to be said the inevitable has happened: she grew. A lot. And is definitely too long and heavy to carry very far these days. My spatial awareness (and biceps) do not stretch to carrying her on my shoulders. Ho hum, what to do when she needs to be close, and we need to get somewhere?

A side issue was bubbling along, which was my massive BMI need to get moving and burn off some restless energy. "Getting outside for a walk" just doesn't have the same restorative qualities when instead of being able to stride and stomp along until you're puce, you have to grit your teeth and amble along at the speed of a reluctant and endlessly curious pre-schooler, who bless her, has one weak leg due to CP. Agh.

What to do, what to do? Well, it turns out, wheels are the answer. When venturing on holiday to a well-known woodland holiday chain earlier this year, we tried an adult tricycle with a second seat on it big enough for another adult (the duet cycle). In all honesty, this was a bit more adapted than we actually needed, particularly since the front two-wheeled part could be detached and used as a wheelchair. Nonetheless we had a ball careering around the place, with Cupcake waving regally at all the poor saps who had to pedal their own bikes, and me burning off some frustration and burning up my thigh muscles at the same time. Ever since, I have been contemplating, and googling, and doing my sums on the back of envelopes.

Eventually we took the plunge and have bought our own version: we call it Little Zoom. We bought it from the lovely folks at Mission Cycles and we have had it less than a week but already LOVE it. It has taken some getting used to (our first ride was under adult supervision from my brother-in-law, who actually understands what happens when you change gear, and why. Mysteries indeed) but we are well away now, and Cupcake sings her own special "Faster Faster" song every time we set off. Teddy is tied on to the back with a ribbon just in case he decides to plunge into traffic, and Cupcake has her own bell in the back which she is tickled pink by. The rear seat is really designed for 2 small children and can take up to 60kg, but we have fiddled with the harness(es) and rigged it so Cupcake can sit in the centre by herself. She has over 40kg to go before she hits the weight limit, although I'm pretty sure I'm well over what the main saddle should be bearing! It's great to get us out together - she is at the same level as me so she can chat to me and reach to touch me, and I know she's safe right behind me (I was not at all convinced by the tag-along trailers as I could vividly see she would panic - and so would I probably!)

So, basically, my point here is that all exhausted self-neglecting adopters with anxious children could do a lot worse than save their sanity by investing in a Little Zoom of their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment